After a master’s thesis and a few months of freelance work I finally hadtime to work on Catcher again!
The new release features:
- A short tutorial (and it’s about time!)
- Particle effects for every enemy
- Better-looking player ships and improved feedback on taking damage
- Improved movement controls
- Performance rating after a level to provide context on “How good did I do?” aside from scores
- Self-made score server
- Lots of small bug fixes
The self-made score server was needed after Scoreoid, the service I previously used, decided to silently cease service and take all of my player’s scores with them. At first I thought it was just a short outage, but after a few months of not even being able to access the backend site it seems they just died silently. Time to depend more on the things I make myself, I guess.
Here are a few screenshots from the new build:
It feels so good to be back. Expect more updates in the coming months!